Sunday, August 16, 2009

Video Killed the Radio Star

A collection of circumstances lately has taken me back to the early 1980s.  I was only in grade one or two at the time and as a naive 6-year old, I was unaware of what was happening in the big bright world around me.  A significant pop cultural shift was occurring - the introduction of video with audio on a channel called MTV.   Little would I know at the time, that 20 years later I would be representing TV Commercial Directors to the advertising community here in Toronto; specifically Gerry Casale of Devo fame. Now I don't care how old you are or how little you know of Devo, you definitely know the song "Whip It", in fact I believe this song has made it's way on a ba-gillion commercials, spoofs and ripomatics since it's conception.  "Whip It" was one of the first music videos to hit MTV, so it was pretty cool to meet and get to know someone who impacted and had a hand in changing the way we experience music.  
I have to say that after 28 years of a plethora of unbelievable music videos - from Thriller, to Wild Boys, Take on Me, Just a Gigilo, Like A Virgin, Nuthin but a G Thang, Bark at the Moon, California Love and We're Not Gunna Take It...well, there is really no excuse for this today...

No comments:

Post a Comment