Tuesday, July 7, 2009

the way you make me feel

I know, I know.  You're tired of hearing about Michael Jackson.  You're frustrated that the media are hypocrites calling him a pervert when he was alive but a hero in death. Or maybe you're the one that firmly believes he was 'a freak' and doesn't deserve all of this fame or praise.

If you ask me, it's simply nice to celebrate life rather than think about our current state of living lately - the economy, homelessness and a recession.  Maybe it's just me but I think it is an unfortunate, albeit nice, distraction to have us re-focus on what's important.  Living properly. Although he couldn't live properly, he tried his best to teach us to do so.  To enjoy the simple things, to be kind, to love unconditionally and to dance & sing.

Regardless of how we all feel individually, today is a massive day as we officially say goodbye in a global memorial to the King of Pop (now that title is one thing we can't argue about).  I missed the live feeds today at work, so I'm sitting here watching it re-air and I'm crying like a baby. For many reasons, it's me - it's what I do. But, I also haven't experienced a memorial service or funeral in many, many years - thankfully. Michael's memorial is a reminder to me of that horrible feeling of letting go, saying goodbye to someone or something that impacted my life.  

I've always been a naive, cheeseball.  I'm often affected by pop culture and always, always impacted by people that are kind and have a huge heart.  I've never understood people who lie, who are intentionally cruel or just generally deceitful.  (It's probably why I love animals more than most humans).  I truly believe Michael Jackson brought love and joy to us while he was here. 

The words that hit home for me the most in the last two weeks were the words Marlon Jackson said today about his brother: that Michael always wanted to experience those simple moments in life that we all take for granted each and every day, basic living really.  "Michael was judged and ridiculed so often - how much pain can one take?  Maybe now, Michael, they will leave you alone".

I feel pure sadness when I look at these images side-by-side where he appears on the same stage in the Staples Centre, just one week apart. He was always on stage doing "this" for us, I just hope we didn't do "this" to him.

Goodbye MJ.










If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.
- Michael Jackson

1 comment:

  1. all good comments. But when the whole family is full of gazillionaires, why did the city of LA pay for the ceremony (they don't have ANY money!)

    ReplyDelete