Sunday, September 20, 2009

be present

I just finished the Time Traveller's Wife last night. Yes, I know it's in theatres and highly cliche to dig into now, but this book was given to me as a gift on my 33rd birthday (if you're keeping track, that's 2 years ago). What is pathetic is that I had it on my reading-to-do list for 24 months and finally tackled it this past August.  I attempted it once before, wasn't in the head space and then put it back on my bookshelf.  This time I fell in love with it...that said, the love didn't really start to grow until page 400 (which is 80% into it).

Last night, with 15 pages left, one of the most beautiful statements in the entire book was when Henry said to Clare (I'm not giving anything away, the title of the book takes care of that):

I hate to think of you waiting.  I know that you have been waiting for me all your life, always uncertain of how long this patch of waiting would be.  Ten minutes, Ten Days, a month. Please, Clare, when I am dead, stop waiting and be free.  Of me - put me deep inside you and then go out into the world and live. Love the world and yourself in it.

Is it just me or was that god-damn breathtaking? 

The simple importance of being truly present in our short life.

On Friday, my girlfriend Kelly (aka KZ) sent me an email after we had both experienced the U2 concert on separate nights.  Her email said, "I particularly enjoyed the song Stuck in a Moment and for the first time I really heard the lyrics 'it's just a moment. this time will pass'."

On Saturday, my girlfriend Adrienne (aka Ady) got married.  I was honoured to be their wedding photographer.  In turn, and very unexpected, her and Kev gave me the most beautiful necklace. Totally my style and she had it engraved with the words:

BE PRESENT.


this was my favourite 'be present' moment with KZ and Ady in Halifax, NS. 2006

On Sat, Sept 19th - KZ gave birth to her third babes and Ady got married to an amazing guy.  
To many more present and ever-changing moments. Love you both. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment