Monday, January 25, 2010

I was born in a small town.

Ever have one of those days where you're going about your usual routine and you stop and kind of realize where you're at in life? I mean, not so much literally, but more like wondering how you arrived to this particular place in your life. To me, those moments are like little grateful awakenings - having the ability to be very present and alive.

The Wentworth Park Gazebo, Sydney NS

It happened to me on Saturday morning. I was driving to a hair appointment, coffee in hand and it was a beautiful sunshiny January day. And for some reason it hit me. "I live in Toronto". "I've lived in Toronto for 7.5 years". These moments may appear pretty meaningless and cheesy to you, but for me they make me take notice of life. Then, I enjoy it more. Living in a city the size of Toronto makes me realize how far I've come from a life that doesn't seem so long ago. Growing up in a town of 20,000 people and living in a city of 2.5 million makes you appreciate what great qualities both have to offer and how it's best left that the two never merge. I like them even more for their own unique packages.

This was further reinforced for me this past weekend when I read my friend Gustavo's blog. It was about his recent trip home to Brazil for Christmas and of his awareness of a life left behind. It's true, absence definitely makes the heart grow fonder...even if the absence comes in the form of subconciseness of your everyday surroundings.










Gabarus, Nova Scotia

No comments:

Post a Comment