Sunday, January 3, 2010

the writing is on the wall

Well, here we are...the year two thousand and ten. Crrrrrazy. Especially when I used to think the song "Party like it's 1999" by Prince was a futurist, Jetsons-like, imaginary place in time. It seemed as though 1999 was light years away.

For the last number of years, I have never started off the year with a single resolution. Instead, I set goals. I pick 5 goals in the areas of Love, Friendships, Education, Finance and Fitness. I set difficult, but achievable goals for each area and I re-evaluate them mid-year. This is something I look forward to each January. Because it's good to look back on the previous year and see how you've improved as a person. You then have something to show for how you got yourself to the next level.

This year, I feel like I need to completely re-assess these five areas and this time set all of them with a theme. The theme being "time". And the reason? Well I hate to sound superstitious, cheesy, fateful or that I'm practicing the Secret but there are a few too many signs pointing to the importance of time. Obviously, my tattoo and this blog were the beginning of this journey in 2009, but once I decided to consciously live each day and week in the moment many great things happened to me in the areas of love, friendship, fitness, finance and education.

1) For Christmas, my mom got me this book. Seeing a book with the subtitle "turning back your biological clock" at the age of 35 kinda takes your breath away, but I'm pretty excited to hammer through it. After reading the first chapter, I'm going to re-look at my goals with the lens of turning back the clock in the area of Health and Fitness.













2) Ten years ago, I rang in Y2K with many friends and one "special friend". That night ten years ago was nothing short of a gong show, many people were there - it was our version of sex, drugs and rock'n roll. My "special friend" and I parted ways later that year after sharing many life-changing experiences. As a parting gift he left me with a coffee table quote book...and highlighted a specific quote for both of us, "there is always time to start over again" and here we are exactly 10 years later starting over again. I have to say (speaking from experience) in pioneering this quote, starting over again can be even better than starting, period.

The essence of that quote will be applied this year in the areas of Love, Education and Finance.












3) I don't have Much Music or MTV, so I hardly see music videos anymore. Come to think of it, I really miss the days of visually great stories via music videos.

I ended up having a small quiet moment over the holidays, and as I was flipping through channels I came across the Top 100 Videos of the Decade. And I happened to catch Gwen Stefani's video "What you waiting for?" Her lyrics represent everything I've been trying to express this past year, right here in this tiny space. Taking chances and that life is too short. For many reasons, it's worth taking 7 minutes out of your day to watch this - for the art direction, the imagination, the irony and the all-around hotness.



Listen, I'm not trying to be a preacherman here, I'm just saying that while the TV, emails, radio and the www are yelling at you to set a new years resolution, remind yourself that living life is about being in the moment, unselfishly. You don't have to start today or even this month. Do it when you're ready, but ask yourself honestly, what are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment